Thursday 21 March 2013

these simple shapes

These simple shapes are all about my creative space at the moment. And they came about quite unexpectedly.

In the midst of making some curtains for the little mans bedroom, I wanted to brighten up the white Ikea fabric I was using with a bit of a prominent border. Something bright and modern that would compliment the elephants breath walls and white and oaky bits of furniture.
The fabrics I picked out as contenders were just not going to be long enough. Mainly being fat quarters or off cuts. Oh dilemma.
Then I spotted { and fell in love with } a cute diy patchwork teepee whilst flicking through  Crafting a Meaningful Home
Instantly smitten with the idea of creating a patchy bit of decor on the bambinos drapes - I know, American term for curtains. So much better though, don't you think? Sounds so fifties too. Yep, think I might start calling them drapes - and thus, a new obsession was born in the thimbles household. Ace!

This is just about the most perfect evening stitching for telly viewing. So simple. Although I have had to endure the Mr humming the theme to Blockbusters while I arranged and rearranged the hexes...

I have a few more to do I think, then I will most likely spend far too long fussing with placements before neatly, oh so neatly, stitching them all together.

I'm loving the mint and tangerine hexes. So springy, eh? My goodness do we need springy colours and beautiful brightness in old Blighty right now?! Rain and grey clouds be gone, I will have no more of thee...

I custom sized and downloaded the hexagonal template from here

Linking to My Creative Space

4 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful hexies! I love your colour and fabric choices. They are superb. I am addicted to hexies too, they are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have a P please Bob!
    Love the colours, I learnt how to do these at the craft show last week so know how pleasurable and hypnotic the stitching is, enjoy. Looking forward to seeing the final article.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours, they compliment each other beautifully. A great way of brightening your home up. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

    I've nominated you for The Liebster Award :) Hope over on to my blog if you would like to take part in the tag! x

    Emma - beautyndthecupcake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patchwork teepee? I want one for my living room, even though I'm 23 and childless and live in a small apartment. Those fabrics also look completely lovely together.

    Would you be interested in posting this as a work in progress on Kollabora, the crafting and DIY community? I'm trying to prove to my corner of the internet that there's such a thing as cool and kid-friendly decor.

    ReplyDelete